Royal School for the Deaf Derby is a child centred day and residential school which provides deaf children aged from 3 — 19 with access to language (English and BSL), literacy, numeracy and all curriculum areas. It promotes a strong sense of identity and through its 24 hour curriculum prepares young people for adult life.
• We are a signing and speaking community where the languages and cultures of both deaf and hearing people are valued
• We develop our pupils’ skills in BSL and English, and these are taught and assessed formally
• We offer individual programmes to meet each pupil’s needs. Some secondary pupils attend mainstream schools and colleges for part of their curriculum delivery and the primary department has developed two-way links with local primary schools. Deaf pupils from mainstream schools attend RSDD for BSL, Deaf Studies and other options
• We promote a positive sense of identity for all pupils and prepare them for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of adult life in both deaf and hearing communities
• We encourage parents of deaf children to visit our school and experience the breadth of our provision
• We offer training and outreach to mainstream staff and individual pupils
Thank you for visiting our website which we hope you will find useful. If you would like further information or wish to arrange a visit then please contact Anne du Celliee Muller on 01332 547677. A full prospectus is available on request from Reception.