Click below to see the RSDD children in training for Grease!
Welcome to Royal School for the Deaf Derby, a child centred day and weekly residential school (4 nights boarding), which provides deaf children aged from 3 – 19 with access to language (English and BSL), literacy and all curriculum areas. It promotes a strong sense of identity and prepares young people for adult life
- We are a signing and speaking community where the languages and cultures of both deaf and hearing people are valued
- We develop our pupils’ skills in BSL and English, and these are taught and assessed formally
- We offer individual programmes to meet each pupil’s needs. Some secondary pupils attend mainstream schools and colleges for part of their curriculum delivery and the primary department has developed two-way links with local primary schools. Deaf pupils from mainstream schools attend RSDD for BSL, Deaf Studies and other options
- We promote a positive sense of identity for all pupils and prepare them for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of adult life in both deaf and hearing communities
- We encourage parents of deaf children to visit our school and experience the breadth of our provision
- We offer training and outreach to mainstream staff and individual pupils